Double Dawg Dare 5k run / 3k paddle September 28th 2013 (Biathlon) New Port Richey FL race


Double Dawg Dare (1st Annual) 2013
Biathlon 5K run followed by 3K paddle.  Excellent event for runners & kayakers
For info go to http://www.dawgdare.com/
Awards post race party with food, beer and fun. New Port Richey FL
To register for the race, go to www.active.com

Do the entire course yourself, the Double Dawg Dare 
...or split it up with a friend.  You run & friend kayaks.
...or just do the run or just do the kayak race.  Prizes in every division, every age group.

Satellite map of Double Dawg Dare race course 
http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/W4HMlqEze1

See you there...yes, I'm definitely doing the Double Dare!!!
----------------------

...ok endurance athletes I'm back from the race and really pumped up about next year's race.  This race became a sprint to the finish battle as I suspected.  Very fast paced and extremely challenging.  All experience level competitors came out for this great event.  Prizes were amazingly nice.  The event was well staffed with some of the nicest, most helpful people.  They used high-tech electronic scoring systems and scores were not only read out within the hour, they were also posted online same day.  All registrants received a race shirt with event logo with 5k run and 3k paddle listed on the front/sponsors on the back.  Everyone who completed in the single or double dog dare received a finishers medallion.  The top 3 in each age group received a plexiglass trophy.  The overall top 3 also received a stone tower trophy.  Everyone got a free beer or sports drink & Bilbos BBQ supplied pork sandwiches and coleslaw.  You couldn't have planned out a race more flawlessly...and this was the 1st annual.

So how did I do...me, the non-runner?  Pretty good actually to my surprise.  I chose the harder of the 3 events, the Double Dawg.  It was quite a challenge.  I stopped running long distance 2 weeks before the race and started running a series of shorter 1 mile sprints to pick up my pace.  The training method worked well.  I finished 18 of 70 or so runners which made me happy because that gave good timing I needed to start the kayak portion of the race.  It felt good to be up in the pack of guys and girls whom I considered serious runners.  After keeping up with them, I was pretty well wiped out for the first 1000 yards of the kayak race.  I then focused on proper technique and getting into a rhythm.  I was hoping to make up time in the paddle to win.  Energy started to return after 1000 yards.  I then focused on passing one person at a time until it seemed there was nobody left to pass then increased pace the last 1/2 mile to the finish.  In the end it turned out to be a good strategy getting 1st place in my age group & 2nd place overall.

I can't wait until next year's race which will be even bigger & even better!  Congratulations to all my friends who competed and won.  Brent 1st in kayak race with a time of 17 minutes, Jaana who took 3rd place in the women's overall, Rick & his daughter who did the full course as a relay with her running & him paddling.  See all of you in 2014.  Get your Dawg on!  Arrroooof!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surfski Repair

Outdoor storage of surfski

My first surfski a Futura sport