Save money on drying stands

Why are surfski drying stands $90 each?!!! Spend money on a good surfski and paddle but look for more economical options for things like stands. Here are some suggestions I used that work just as well for alot less: 1) DIY Storage Stand: (folds for travel) My first kayak drying stand was a DIY made of 2" PVC, leftover nylon straps, two bolts with nuts and stainless steel screws. It cost me $15 total to make 2 and I still use them today. The funny thing is the local kayak shops all use this same type stand in their store. It's so strong that a curious teen actually sat in my surfski on the stand before I realized and told him to get off. My suggestion is use 2 nylon straps top and two bottom. I would place the screws as far out to the side as possible to avoid scratching your ski. I didn't remember to do that when building mine so I plasti-dip coated the screws to be safe. 2) DIY Travel Stand: (folds into thin carry size) Just like the expensive stands use 4 poles. You can make these most inexpensively and most long lasting from PVC. Cap ends of each pole. Use nylon straps and stainless steel screws on top and bottom to create support and strength. This one looks like the expensive kind and folds the same way but for only $15. This just requires a little observing of how the expensive aluminum $90 stands are made then recreating it out of PVC. I suggest using the 2" PVC for maximum strength. This kind of stand will fold up to place in tall thin carry case. 2) 4 legged portable camping stool: Another more portable option is a inexpensive 4 legged folding stool. You can get these for $12-$35. They are made of the same aluminum material as the expensive surfski stands, sometimes come with storage bags, fold up thin for storage and in my opinion are exactly the same as the expensive stands for 1/3 or less the price. ***suggestion, shorter stools are more easily packed but if you get taller ones, you can more easily rinse the ski without bending over. This is my own personal preference and exactly like the pricey $90 stands. 

I also use two other kinds of stands:

1) walker - Yes, two standard folding walkers.  I cut the aluminum down to make them shorter thus closer to the ground and more stable.  They fold and go in the trunk easily.  slip the rubber back on the new length of leg.

2)  metal folding chair - With mine, the legs are folded together to slip into a bag.  I take the back off the seat and use it as a folding surfski stand and keep the backs for when I want to use it as a chair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surfski Repair

Outdoor storage of surfski

My first surfski a Futura sport